I am an ENT trainee / registrar and commencing from next week will be rostered for job responsibilities on Shabbat. While I will try to swap out in the first instance – it will be likely that I will not be able to swap all the shifts. Please advise of halachic rulings regarding driving to and from work; notable in this job I will be required to 'cover' 2 to 3 hospitals on a given weekend shift. Do you have a publication outlining the issues relating to:
1. Travel home from work if Shabbot is already in (does being married; with children make a difference in this regard?)
2. Being on call –
a) having to carry pager / phone
b) answering calls
c) calling consultant staff -for advice/ to notify admission/progress etc.
d) writing in the notes/ drug charts
3. travel into hospital to review patients on Shabbat a) for routine "in-patient" review and b) emergency review.
4. operating on patients (knot tying/ diathermy etc)
5. examination patients (involving turning on/off light source – particularly with ent – nasendoscopes; otoscopes)
6. traveling home on Shabbat after ward/emergency review of patients. (hospital is far / will be covering 2 different hospitals over Shabbat that are not close to each other)
See Nishmat Avraham (ArtScroll) vol 1 for answers to your questions
[book details: Nishmat Avraham : Medical Halachah for Doctors, Nurses, Health-Care Personnel and Patients – Artscroll Mesorah Publications – Vol. 1 Orach Chaim]